Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Week 2 in Review (aka - the Not-So-Great GATE Experience)

Last week was tough!  How frustrating that the program was so different from what I use to prep for class (I use version 9, the GATE lab has version 4)!  How tough to have more confusion than solutions!  And I don't like how grumpy I feel when "disasters" strike.   In addition to all of that, I scheduled my blog post to go live at 4:30 pm last Wednesday, and guess what?  It didn't.  AND I forgot to check my work, so I didn't know until today, 6 days later.  Not a good thing - I am sorry!

Thank YOU so much for your patience in class.  You were terrific, amazing and kind!  I'm bringing treats this week to show my appreciation.

I have learned that not-so-great days are often the days when I learn the most.  So here is my list of great things learned from last week's not-so-great GATE class:

  • Photoshop is a little tricky (I relearned this one)
  • Try again
  • Explore different options
  • Try something else
  • The undo button has a limit to how far back it can go
  • Refer to the the instructions over and over again
  • Programs change so it helps to know the lingo: layers, Gaussian, invert...
  • Double check: there is a difference between duplicate layers and create new layer!
  • I learned a little bit more about Adobe(tm).  I had heard that Adobe is known for is completely revamping their Photoshop software-almost as though they are starting from scratch-every time they upgrade.  I didn't think the difference would be too dramatic on the Elements end, but boy, was I wrong.
  • GATE kids are pretty terrific (I relearned this one too)
What did you learn?  Leave a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment